Academic Deans occupy a unique place in the structure of academic administration at the Missional University. Depending on the size and growth of the School, the Dean serves as the facilitating link among department chairpersons, faculty members, staff, students, and University leadership. All activities and roles of the Deans are undertaken in light of furthering the best interests of the students at the Missional University. Candidates for this position should not only have academic administration experience but should also have served in some aspect of contextual, creative communication. The applicant should be able to provide a strong exposition of the missio dei in missional theology and its application to practice in the mission of God. Since the Missional University is dedicated to training grassroots missional leaders in the evangelical tradition, administrative staff and faculty members must commit to both our faith and ethos statements. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Women, majority world scholars, and ethnic minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.
School of Creative Expression
The School of Creative Expression equips cultural creatives across many artistic mediums in various global cultures to reveal a creative God who loves us. Courses and programs integrate art forms across global cultures through the following departments:
- Communication & Media Studies
- Digital Media Arts
- Digital Information Technologies
- Film & Theatre Studies
- Music & Ethnodoxology
Deans play five essential roles, serving as:
- academic leader of their school
- a representative of their school to the rest of the University, especially University administration
- a representative of University leadership to their school
- managers of the school’s resources
- representatives of the school and University to external bodies
These five roles remain constant even though specific responsibilities and duties may vary according to the mission, size, and complexity of the specific school.
Responsibilities and Duties
The Deans’ responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- coordinating the development of and implementing the school’s vision and goals statement within the overall mission and vision of the Missional University
- leading the school’s efforts toward achieving University goals
- developing a school budget and managing the fiscal affairs of the school
- leading, and coordinating school strategic planning and curriculum development
- supervising, evaluating, and supporting the departments/school in a manner that promotes excellence in instruction, scholarly and creative productivity and service at Missional University
- leading and coordinating the governance of the school within University guidelines
- leading and overseeing the processes of faculty and staff selection and retention
- leading the professional development of school faculty and staff
- evaluating school faculty and staff
- evaluating department chairpersons (if exist) along with departmental/school faculty and staff
- evaluating overall departmental/school productivity in instruction, research, and service responsibilities
- providing recommendations to the University Provost regarding sabbaticals and other leaves for faculty and staff
advising the University Provost on University policies and procedures
- providing recommendations to the University Provost on policies and procedures, especially in the academic area
managing non-faculty school staff members
- developing, leading, and encouraging fundraising in support of the school’s goals and the goals of its departments and programs, as well as outreach and public service efforts.
Directly supervises Department Chairs and 25 to 40 faculty members in the School of Creative Expression. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, recruiting, and training faculty members; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining faculty; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Qualifications and Skills
- Doctoral degree (Ph.D.) or equivalent from an accredited seminary or university
- Doctoral degree must be in Communication, Media, Cultural Studies, Film Studies, or Ethnomusicology or related area
- More than 10 years related experience and/or training.
- Teaching experience at a university, seminary or Bible college, preferably online
- Some administrative experience in higher education
- A vibrant Christian testimony
- Demonstrated experience in some form of missions either in the US or elsewhere.
- Strong administrative, management and leadership skills
- Passionate about the mission of the Missional University
- Able to sign the university faith and ethos statements